Sunday, January 1, 2012

"This World is but a canvas to our imagination." -Henry David Thoreau

Having been among one of my more recent destinations, my trip to Peru still serves as one of my most distinctive experiences. This surreal South American adventure proved to remind me of the tremendous fortune I have been granted to live a life of comfort in the developed world. The trip also served to show me the beauty of a strong, healthy body.

Cusco City, deeply engrained with the rich cultural history of the Peruvian people and their resilient way of life, is where I initially witnessed the widespread pollution and poverty found within this still beautiful cultural mecca. It's near impossible not to feel grateful for the ease of the modern American life in stark contrast to the very real hardships found here. I quite clearly remember feeling embarrassed that my principal source of discontentment at that point in my life was being bored at work...what an incredible wake up call that was for me! The four day trek of the Inka Trail was without a doubt the most remarkable part of the trip for me. This ascent into the Andean mountains, reached points of over 13,000 feet above sea level, and spanned a wide array of eco-systems, from cloud forests to stone-paved trails over the rocky terrain. The trek included up to 7 hours of tough hiking on some of the days. Having the clarity of mind granted along with these lengthy days of wandering through paths of what truly felt like the very top of the world, was were I came to realize the marvel of the strength and sheer power of the body. Since that incredible trek through the Sacred Valleys of Peru, I returned with a pure focus in my day to day exercise of increasing my strength and power, which in turn has led me even deeper into my wonderful power yoga practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment